Sunday, July 22, 2012

Injury Time-Out

Down but not out. I went to the doctor yesterday (Saturday) to have an X-ray done on the outside of my left foot. I have been having a pain just past the pointy bone (at least that's what I call it). It has been bothering me for over a month without much change in the pain level. The X-Ray came back negative. At least they couldn't see anything that was obviously wrong with it. They did send the films out to a radiologist for a double-check.

The diagnosis is a deep tissue bruise. The doctor told me to rest it and for two days and apply ice. She also said that if I didn't hear from her by Sunday night, I could resume exercise on Monday. Well it's Sunday night, and no news is good news. I will be out bright and early tomorrow for my easy run, a 30 to 45 minute run at slow pace.

My foot is still bothering me but the pain is not terrible. It's more uncomfortable than anything. It is just taking forever to heal. I think part of the reason it has been slow healing is because I have not been good at icing it. I know the importance of icing an injury when the treatment calls for it. See, I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee a few years ago. Part of the treatment was icing the knee after Physical Therapy. I cannot tell you how wonderful my knee would feel after applying ice.

Naturally, when I began running, I would apply ice after each run. Guess what? I had little trouble with my knee post-run, and I haven't had to ice it for a very long time. So, knowing what I know, I should have been applying ice to my foot this whole time. Perhaps, I'd already be back to 100%, or at least on to the next injury. For you seasoned runners, you know what I mean. For you beginning runners, you will soon know what I mean.

In any event, I am going to continue running and cross-training; but I will be sure to apply ice regularly while elevating my foot until it gets better. Doctor's orders. So long for now, it's actual time for my next ice treatment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment